Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Make Some Lace Envelopes

The invitations are out! It's official that this thing is happening! Soon! The wedding is in five months already and because it's far away I thought it was important to give people plenty of time to make reservations, plans, etc. I wanted to flex my crafty muscles in several areas of the wedding and one thing I saw on Pinterest I was sure I wanted to do was make lace envelopes for my invitations:
So, above is my finished envelope! I got most of my inspiration here and assembly details here. I wanted to know if I could make it happen any easier without buying velum, spray adhesive, and tracing paper. My main colors are white/ivory lace and charcoal grey. So I looked at the following invitations:

In the end, the one with the lowest price one (the first one with the white background). I absolutely love the script, but the background was kind of bland with matching envelopes. I was able to negotiate with the seller to get addressed envelopes for the reception cards, but that I would provide my own mailing envelopes. By doing this I could use more charcoal grey, and find a larger envelope to accommodate my pretty lace one. I was able to buy 50 envelopes (yay for small weddings!), 50 paper doilies, 1 silver Sharpie pen, and 1 roll of double stick tape and I had everything that I needed to get my invitations done!
 Aren't the grey and lace pretty together? I managed to keep everything sealed until my big box of wedding everything showed up one Saturday! 
 So, here is how you make a Martha Stewart looking envelope without all of the Martha Stewart trouble! 
-She instructs that you need a 9" paper doily. Good luck finding that. Once you've admitted defeat (like I did) get yourself a 10" paper doily. Click the link above for a great one. I think they're so pretty! The 10" ones I got worked great for a 5x7 card. 
-Find a surface that is easy to sweep. Pulling apart all of those doilies was unexpectedly messy.
-Lay out your invitation on the doily:
-Followed by your reception card:
-And finally your RSVP card:
-Once you've laid everything out start folding in one of the side corners:
-Make sure you fold both corners in the same place and firmly crease them. Test the envelope before folding the top and the bottom to make sure there is enough room on either side to pull the cards in and out without tearing the envelope. Once you've done a couple you'll find a groove and things move "quickly."
- Here is where your tape comes in:
-A little double stick tape does a great job of helping the envelopes stay crisp and folded. I tore off long strips and cut them in half to place on either side. Then I got annoyed that Chris wasn't experiencing the wedding magic and made him help me out. Here he is cutting strips:
-Stick your tape right on here and fold up the bottom flap:
-Give it a good press and you're done!
 -And take it for a final test drive to make sure everything comes in and out smoothly! That's it! No other tools needed. It probably took about 3 hours to do 50. It's not fast work, but it's easy and looks great!
 Then the moment came where my mom and I got to address them!
 Seriously, we're so picture happy!
 Here is a tip. With envelopes like these do not use a white sharpie paint pen unless you want to go over each letter at least 3 times. We were so disappointed and almost scrapped our efforts. In one last shot I tried the silver, and look what we were left with! 

I dropped them in the mailbox today! It's happening people! 

4 comments:

  1. I would love to include a link to your blog post for the invitation on the listing for the doilies. Would you mind? Thanks, Owl and Thistle (Laurl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel,
      Absolutely! Thanks again for the beautiful doilies!
      -Erin

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful....going to have to try to make some of those

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...