Friday, July 1, 2016

Rusty Patio Furniture & Ugly Cushions Makeover

This is our backyard these days. It's full of kid toys, but very serene and comfy. We eat dinner out here multiple times a week and spend hours every day playing. 
 Chris and I sit under the lights and talk in the evenings after bed time. Every time we say "why did we wait so long to put a table out here?!"
This was the deck a few years ago right after I treated it with Deck Restore and my dad built the pergola. It's been a nice seating area for two but hasn't had much function. Plus the Restore started peeling right off. Between the warped and rotting boards, the peeling surface, and the lack of seating this deck was sad. I already covered the deck makeover. This post will cover the furniture. 
Wanting to move to a more expensive area means that we need to sock away every penny possible for a down payment. For now I want to enjoy our current house as much as possible though. And I wanted our sad deck to look a little happier for staging purposes. So with a cheap as dirt budget I started check out Craigslist and local buy/sell Facebook groups. I found a table on a Facebook group for $10. It was rusty and rickety but it was a good size and came with a nice (yet very rusty) glass top. I realized it wouldn't fit in the back of our SUV and the woman selling it offered to deliver it for free. So the I really couldn't say no. 
I really liked the top because it looks like the lattice on the screened porch and back deck. It came as I was in the middle of the deck redo. 
So then I started looking for chairs. Again with a nearly 0 budget. I hit a garage sale about a block from my house and saw a table and chairs for $40. I asked if they would separate the chairs. The husband said no, the wife said yes. One look between the two and he asked me how much I would offer. I told him $25 and if he didn't take my offer today I'd be back tomorrow to see if they were ready to unload them. He looked at his wife and told me to take them and run. Except I could only fit 3 in the car... So again I got free delivery! His wife ran into the couch and came running out with 6 cushions telling me she has been really careful to keep them inside every night and she was throwing them in. Yay!
$35 dollars later and I was ready to get to work transforming the black rusty table and the brown rusty chairs and perfect (yet ugly) cushions into something that I could love. 
 Obviously you've already seen what they look like when they're done. But I'll show you how to give rusty stuff a makeover...

There were several holes in the table and chairs where rust had eaten them away. First I sanded everything down and smoothed it out. 
I spent $4 on liquid metal filler and filled in the holes. After it dried I sanded down the filler to smooth the surface out.

Then I used Rust Stop on all of the spots to prepare everything for the paint to stick and to keep the rust from coming back up to the top:




Before I painted the table I tightened the whole thing with an allan wrench. It went from rickety to sturdy! I used 4 cans ($22) of Krylon's Pewter Grey to cover everything:


I have some satin exterior paint and painted the lattice stripes white.

 Then it was time to address the brown cushions. I Pinterested how to paint fabric and the consensus was to mix some exterior white paint (that I already had) with a fabric medium. I used Martha Stewart Fabric Medium ($6). 



I just used a brush and gave each side 2 coats. 

I let everything dry really well and then flipped it and started the process over again. 
 I was going to sand it lightly between coats to keep the fabric pliable but honestly it didn't seem to need it. The medium did its job. They're now waterproof but still comfortable and don't feel painted when you sit on them. 
Then there was the rusty glass. I scrubbed it to death and it still looked murky in some spots and really rusty on the sides. 
I read that laying the glass out and soaking it with vinegar and then scrubbing it with a scrub brush would take the rust off. It worked like a charm! Except it killed my grass... Somehow I didn't get the vinegar kills grass memo. Whoops. 
Here are more "after" pictures because I'm so proud of how my project came out! 




The final total was $67! I haven't been able to find another glass top table with 6 chairs and cushions for that price so I'm patting myself on the back!
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...