Monday, September 14, 2015

Baby Led Weaning

If you're not looking for a non-baby post, this isn't it! Now that we've gotten that outta the way and you're still here here we go! 

I went with the WHO's recommendation of no solids until 6 months old. Then I didn't know what I wanted to start with. Most of what I've read recently says cereal is just empty calories, and I didn't want to feed my baby canned food that I wouldn't go near. So, I started researching baby-led-weaning. I won't pretend to be the expert on it. But I can tell you the different things I've fed Lila since I struggled to find recipes. I did make some purees too, and use a mesh feeder pouch for some foods. So I'd say we're doing a hybrid version. So here are some things she's eaten.

Lila loves apple slices. She does a great job of nibbling off pieces and sucking the juice out of them:
Here's Lila having avocado banana puree:
 I made pasta with chicken, olive oil, and salt free italian seasoning (salt is a no no for babies):
 We started with wheat toast and then worked our way up to peanut butter on it. I used the tiniest scraping the first time and held my breath for allergies. I also fed her this early in the day so I could watch her for any hives or anything. The next time I added more peanut butter. She seems to love it and is allergy free!
 Banana:
 Now she pretty much wants whatever we're having. She is stealing my husband's barbecue chicken sandwich:
 I made my own sweet potato fries by shaking raw potatoes in a freezer bag with some olive oil and a tiny bit of brown sugar. Then I baked them for 20-30 minutes. These are her favorites:
 Cottage cheese:
 Green beans… Not her favorite!
 Strawberries, ground beef, and green beans:
 Chicken:
 Frozen grapes in her mesh feeder and cheese on her tray:
 She wasn't a fan of the purees. I ended up putting whatever she rejected into an ice cube tray and giving her the cubes in her mesh teether:
 Sweet potato rounds using the same recipe as above:
 Roasted cinnamon apples
 I spent one Sunday afternoon making purees for her pouches and finger foods I could freeze:


 Lila's first food was avocado. She wasn't a fan the first time, but loves it now!
Her very favorite is cauliflower pizza!
In the beginning Lila gagged a bit which was kind of scary but to be expected as she tested her limits. She doesn't much at all anymore and loves pretty much everything! She is a big fan of whatever we're eating. It's SO easy not making anything special for her or worrying about graduating from baby food to something more solid. If you're looking for some recipes for doing baby led weaning these are some good, easy ones. If you're not sure if it's the way to go I highly recommend it too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...