Friday, August 14, 2015

Showing a Little Leg

So I made a small but big change to the couch. 
It's more obvious when you look at this picture I think. I added higher feet to our Kivik Sectional! While it might not seem essential, after having a new baby and spending hours a day on this couch her first month- trust me. It was. It's hard to oaf off of this couch when your body feels busted. It's also hard if you're holding a baby, etc. I also see our older relatives struggle getting up and down because its so low. Raising this dude up was a no brainer. 
I used 2 sets of these legs. We decided to flip the couch on its back to do this project after Chris got home from work and before Lila woke up from her nap. What should've been a quick and cheap project ended up not being AT ALL cheap or easy. It turns out that I forgot that you just pound the legs onto the Kivik. They don't screw in like they do on the Karlstad and other Ikea couches. Ok… $10 in washers and nuts and we were in business.

A large washer and a nut on the other end held these legs on great!
So we tipped the couch back onto its feet and took a seat. It made a big squeak and the chaise and sofa separated! We flipped it back up and realized that the mechanism that connects the two sits on the floor and keeps them together, so we needed to raise that up. Until we could figure something out Chris's boring books held the couch up
Another before and after:

I finally found cheap bed risers at Walmart and life was good again. I've edited this post after several questions about how the risers sit and how the legs attached. Please excuse my dusty floor! I hope these help:

Here is the back of the couch. This shows the connecting piece sitting on the bed riser:
 This is the front of the couch showing the connecting piece sitting in the bed riser:
 Here it is complete with beautiful new legs and 2 bed risers:
So my $30 project ended up being $50 which was really depressing. I would do it again though! We have found so much junk under the couch since then, it makes cleaning way easier, and getting up and down the same as it would me on a normal couch! I wondered why I didn't find any google results for adding legs to a Kivik, but now I get it! Doesn't it look great?!

11 comments:

  1. Hello! Can you please explain how you used bed raisers? What size did you use? How did you use washers and nuts? What is the name of the fabric? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I wanted to let you know that I've gone back and updated the post with more pictures that hopefully help answer your question!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gizelle- I'll have to get back to you with a detailed picture of how to use the washers and nuts. I'll try to describe it thought. There is a hole where the old Kivik legs were inserted. I inserted the smaller threaded screw in part from the leg into that hole. On the inside of the hole I put a washer over the threaded part and then screwed a nut onto it until it hit the washer and couldn't tighten anymore. I linked (above) the bed risers that I purchased. I used the 5" riser. The fabric color on the sofa is Isunda Grey I believe. I've attached the link at the end of the comment. I hope that helps! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49896993/#/S29005375

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I plan on doing this to my living as well. But I have been struggling with finding a solution to the connection bar. I love your bed riser solution. Are the bed risers secured? Or is the couch just resting on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I wanted to let you know that I've gone back and updated the post with more pictures that hopefully help answer your question!

      Delete
  4. Hi there! It is just resting on the riesers but seems to be really secure- I can scoot the couch in and out to clean without it coming off of them! They have a little lip that helps them stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Kivik and have attached legs as well, but we've since acquired the chaise and are struggling with the connection bar now. I think we'll go the riser route, but did you only use the one in the front? Or did you also place once in the back? If so, how secure is that one - is there enough surface area for the couch to be placed on the riser? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! I used a riser on the front and the back (the risers I bought came with 4 and are linked in the post). I realized it was hard to visualize what I did so I went back and added a few more detailed pictures to the post. Hopefully that helps clarify! There is tons of extra surface area on the riser and we have never had any issue with movement. It slides back and forth when I need to clean too. I hope this helps with your Kivik situation!

      Delete
  6. How has this held up since your hack? We love the Kivik, but hate that it is so low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly! It's been a little over a year and I'm THRILLED we did it! We haven't had a single issue and everything is holding up well. We are moving in the next couple of months so we'll see how it survives the move and if there are any issues I'll update about them!

      Delete
  7. Hello! I didn't realize you put updates on this post, but let me tell you they helped! I originally did a different approach with the chaise/sofa connection and support and I sorta have out last night. So I'll be adding those bed risers. Thanks again for the pics and link!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...