Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ikea Hack: Pretty High Chair Insert

Before Lila was born I insisted we buy her Antilop High Chair from Ikea. It had been briefly discontinued so when I saw that it was back I jumped on it! You can't beat a high chair for $19.99. I decided the insert wasn't necessary. Well now that I have an almost mobile baby that is dying to sit up, etc. the insert seemed like the perfect thing to pick up to give Lila a different view of the kitchen.
The problem was that red and blue stripes didn't really go with my kitchen. So I decided to get it and use it as a template to go over the inflatable pillow that was also included
So here is what I was working with:

So I laid out my fabric folded in half and traced the big part first:
I used fabric chalk that rubs off. Then I started chopping:
I cut the fabric about a half inch larger than the cover as a seam allowance:
After cutting out all of my pieces and grabbed my pins:        
I also lined up my velcro. This seemed easier for me than a zipper, like Ikea's. 
I also pulled out my bias tape. It's hard to see, but there are two little white loops hanging from the cushion. These are to thread the seatbelt through. I used bias tape for my loops:


After everything was pinned I went to town:

Here it is once I flipped it right side out:
Here it is in action with the insert inflated:


I think she likes it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...