Sunday, May 24, 2015

DIY Fabric Baby Gate

I'm actually writing a post about sewing. I'm amazed. My poor college sewing teacher Mrs. Brooks would be too! I've moved past curtains and pillows and made a baby gate- thus ending the stairs safety crusade. 
This idea was born when I saw retractable mesh baby gates and didn't like the price. I went to Pinterest and started shopping around and saw this post and this post about making fabric baby gates. I mainly used the photos and the idea of using bias tape and command cord bundlers from the posts. 

After I got some ideas for what I needed, I measured my space and hit the fabric store. I found home decor fabric for 50% off and was able to score 2 yards for for $12.99. 
First I measured out the space and cut two squares of the same size to fill the gap. Then I pulled out my bias tape and eyeballed the length needed to make a loop to hook into my cord bundler. 
I formed my loop and pinned it in place:
When the fabric is opened up this is what it should look like. 
I also cut out 6 much bigger strips that would be my velcro section to attach to the post. I sewed on velcro to each of the 6 strips:
Midway through my little lady woke up and was complaining that she wasn't asleep. I love wearing her! She passed right out and we continued:
So then I laid my two velcro straps on top of each other (like they're spooning) and pinned them between my fabric. I folded my fabric in half so I could pin the loops and the velcro in the same place on both sides:
Here's my velcro in action because I like pictures:
Then I zigzagged the edges to death to be sure my loops and straps were in there good:
I sewed 3.75 sides of the gate and flipped it right side out like you would if you made a pillow cover:
I gave each loop a really good tug to be sure that when Lila is pulling them they won't give. Never ever put this at the top of the stairs, no matter how strong your sewing job is! 

Then I attached my cord bundlers (they come in a two pack, so  I need a third before Lila starts crawling!) and used them to hold the loops:
I LOVE that this is temporary! It can be put away whenever I don't want someone to see it and it's super fast to re-attach:
Now I know I seem like I'm going overboard with safety but this is in place for her naps. Oscar is still fresh from being rescued and majorly attached to me. Whenever I would carry her up asleep for her nap or to bed, he would loudly tromp up after me and require many loud whispered "Oscar!"s before he would then clomp back down the stairs. All of this clomping and tromping would wake Lila up. This is an anti-Oscar following device and it's worked like a charm!


I was hoping it would also deter the cat during naps

But he quickly figured out how to get up so the gate at the top of the stairs also has to be closed. But back to the gate...
Awesome huh?!
If you're still on the fence about this DIY I recently started selling these on Etsy. Head on over and check it out! 

11 comments:

  1. That's lovely! I think I'm going to attempt this for our stairs. Thanks for the detailed instructions...sewing isn't my favorite thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing isn't my thing either so I was really glad that this was just simple square! I hope yours turns out great too!

      Delete
  2. It concerns me that the cat is able to crawl under it. If the cat can crawl under it couldn't a small dog and a baby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haley! I think it's because I didn't secure the Command loop low enough so the gate doesn't pull tight enough to not let the cat up. We have two small dogs and had a small baby (now 15 months) and the dogs never made it up and the baby still hasn't! It's still pulled so tightly across that there isn't much room to lift the fabric and crawl under. If your little dog is the type that would burrow under a fence or something I wouldn't think this would work against it. Let me know if you decide to make one how it works for you. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Create a sleeve on the bottom and insert a dowel rod to hold it flush.

      Delete
  3. I've moved past curtains and pillows and made a baby gate- thus ending the ... ibabygate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wanting to try this but I dont understand what youre using for securing it to the wall? Also we have a staircase with just rails on either side. Would this still work??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im wondering what product you used to attach the gate to the wall? Also we just have railings on either side of our stairs. Will this still work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I used Command Cord Bundlers to adhere it to the wall. I only have a railing on one side though so that was the best solution for me. In your case you'll need velcro strips on both sides instead of the closed fabric loop and Command hooks. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. I'd think about putting a sleeve along the bottom and insert a dowel rod to hold it flush to keep baby from sliding under and escaping like the kitty. ;) ♥ Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I considered it but do fold it up and roll it up when out of use. The gate only has a 4" gap when forced. My daughter's head is definitely bigger than 4" so she's never going to be able to scurry under!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...