Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Finally Got This Piano Thing Right!

Maybe you remember this post where I thought painting my doors black was going to give my house some cool depth, and it actually made it stupid and cave-like (and like a piano).

So I went back to classic silver and white and all was right with the world again. But, as usual, I got bored. Oil rubbed bronze called my name down a Home Depot aisle and just like that I realized how to give my house some depth without dark, black, doors. The time had come to unhang all the doors again (see the last makeover here) and give the hardware a makeover. 

This time I wised up and did one floor of my house at a time. I remember the sheer amount of screws and knobs from last time. I started on my second floor. 

This was just from three doors (two have knobs). I discovered paper plates and solo cups this time... I highly recommend using both if you don't have cardboard or styrofoam laying around.
After everything dried for 24 hours I put the knobs back on and let it cure for another two days before I started using everything and rehung the doors again. 
This is an after shot. It's adds a little drama to the doors with the darker hardware! 
Then Chris and I unhung all of the main floor doors one Saturday and I got to work painting
Later that afternoon we brought them all back in to cure in the breakfast room for a week. I like this shot so that you can see how they're not quite black:

A week later I went and added piles of each item needed in front of the unhung doors
Here is the after shot! 


I think Guliana Ranic (or her interior designer) and I have the same taste. I see a lot of similarities in their house and mine in colors and style 
(see the sectional, the knobs, and the stairs?)
 (see the knobs?)

I finally nailed the black and white balance without getting to piano level! I love it! Look for a post in the next six months with how they're holding up!


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I came here thru Pinterest, I think. Not sure. Like your strips above. I laughed because you're as bad as I am, doing things over. I built and hung my kitchen cabinets, (myself) moved them around 100 times, painted them 3 times 'cause the color wasn't right in the natural light, and recently just gave them to my SIL because I found some at the H4H I liked BETTER! There isn't anything in my house I haven't changed a zillion times. OTOH, it's never boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting! I am CONSTANTLY looking for something to repaint! It's theripudic to me I guess! I definitely like not having a boring house either!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...