Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Have Great Hair

Cocky title huh? I did name my blog after my hair though. And, it's the most complimented thing about me. I get stopped at least once a day to receive a compliment about it, give out my hairdresser's information, or be quizzed about what I use in it. Therefore, I decided to fill you in!

My hair is the way it is because of God. :) Meaning, if you don't have curly hair I don't know how to tell you to get it. But if your curls just don't look good or aren't what they used to be I'll share my secrets! 

It wasn't curly when I was born. I was bald for 2 years. Then it was stick straight and blonde. 
Then straight and very dark. 
Then dark with a little red and CURLY!
 The curls showed up when I was 17. I didn't know what to do with them so I spent hours a day laying on my hair to straighten it and shoving it behind my ears.

Such a dork. Seriously.

For a year in high school I went curly. Then I wanted to look "grown up" and straightened it for college. 
On my first date with Z we went to the romantic Dairy Queen across the street from our campus. We walked and it started pouring on our walk there. I sat there our whole date wondering how crazy my hair looked and he told me he liked it curly like it was... The rest is history.

I embraced the curl! It looked AMAZING (this is my junior year in college with my former roomie who also has curly hair).
 Unfortunately, my hair was too easy, and wanting to complicate things I went and got it highlighted about a year after I started working for the top secret retailer back in 2004.

 Through the progression I've had MANY hair colors and alternated the curly straight thing! 
Blonde seems to be the most popular and voted for. All of the bleach has wreaked havoc on my curls though, and they've kind of vanished. Whenever I go through a brown spurt and dye it, instead of bleaching, they come back though! My most recent trip left me pretty Barbie blonde. I was feeling like my hair was pretty fried and I started googling ways to fix it. I was so desperate I was going to buy a box of dye and just get rid of the bleach. Fortunately I came upon this easy solution which has worked for me (and I have 0 hair education, so if it doesn't work for you, I'm not sure what to say!).

Simply whisk together one egg and about 1/4 a cup of olive oil (more or less depending on how much hair you have). Coat your head with this awesome mixture and let sit for 30 min. I usually do this and loosely tie it into a bun on top of my head so it's not dripping or touching anything. Then rinse it out and wash as normal. I guess the protein and the oil are really good for hair. I did this 3x's a week for the week after my hair was destroyed. Now I'm doing it once every/every other week. 

On top of that I always wash my hair at night so it can air dry. And I wash it every other day usually. On days when I wash it I go to sleep with it piled up damp on my pillow case
The off day I put it in a semi-horrific bun (that always gets me mocked) on the top of my head so I don't flatten or fuzz the curls
So, after doing the egg/oil treatments, the next thing I did since I'm going all granola, was try to figure out how I could stop using so many harsh things on my body and in my hair and hopefully bring some life back to my hair. I thought about going no poo but I color my hair. And I like it. Yes, I know I'm still throwing all kinds of toxins on my head. But, I'd like to cut back on doing it every single day! Anyway, back to no poo. You have to wash hair when you're coloring it. I also don't like the idea of the transition phase, and I read that no matter what your scalp smells like head (see #4 & 6 of the link). That's the grossest, greasiest smell to me. I can't do it. I want to smell "clean." Even if that's something that shampoo makers have trained me to do like Hallmark has trained me to love Valentine's Day! So, after much research I ended up switching to a shampoo bar with an occasional apple cider vinegar rinse, and giving up conditioner and most of my hair products! I got the bar on Amazon, but I later found it at Whole Foods and my local health food store. Here it is. I have the peppermint. My hair now smells amazing and my hair is SO much healthier, shinier, and my curls are back!! They're not as tight as they used to be, but they're on their way! 
(As shown in my Stitch Fix picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...