Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Brother's Office Reveal

Remember when I gave you a before shot of my brother's office? It's "done!" I can't wait to show it to you! Let me show you the before. 
The before before:
 These are shots from when we saw the house for the first time (and of course my idea board)
 Isn't this curvy wall great? 
 This is the before shot. My brother decided to paint the room. Some walls white, the others yellow. The yellow was a little too fluorescent. 
He had bought and built the black bookshelf and the black desk still in the box on the floor. The rest is still moving mess. This was his catch-all room. 


 This is the room after I painted it with my leftover dining room paint. I left the white walls white though. 

My brother is obsessed with stripes since he saw my house. He wanted stripes anywhere possible. I used my leftover kitchen paint to paint a few stripes for him.  
 Here they are! They look so similar to mine, but mine are tan and these are grey. 
 My brother was in charge of building the desk. I opened it up and it was a billion pieces. He finally started working on it and realized the top was cracked in half. 
 This is what I encountered when I went over a few days later to work (check out that crack right down the middle!)
 I took over his guest room to build some Ikea furniture and accessories I'd picked up. You've seen these boxes all over my house. They're $9.99 for 2. 
After they were built they were used to hide some things that I didn't think needed to be front and center in the room!
You also have seen this before! I have a bigger version under my TV. This guy is $39.99. We got 2.  
 I also picked up a desk there for $119. One of my least favorite things I've ever built from there! Good thing I brought a helper!
 He also got this 3 pack of shelves from there for Christmas that I thought would be perfect for trophies and stuff (and wouldn't block the doorway). That's why I only painted 3 stripes... I had a plan!
 After everything was built I got to work filling the place up. My brother is annoyingly great at everything! He's smart. He's a great athlete. He's musical. He's sweet. He's now a fireman and paramedic so he also gets to wear fun uniforms, help people, and drive cool vehicles for work. There were a lot of different things to show off! 

I found this among his stuff. My dad took it. He's the one who's on the top of the pile and closest to the ball. 
 It will become very apparent that I'm from Chicago and my family supports Chicago teams as you look around this room! He also got the rug from Ikea for Christmas. I love the green. I also love that he had some sporty green stuff (said like only an un-athletic person could say it!) to pull out the rug color. 

 I'm really sad about blocking the window with the bookshelf. If I had my say the fake wood on the back would come off so that it was see-through, or I'd have bought a different shelf! But, I can't be the boss of everything!


 I think this really gives a good idea of all of the cool things my brother can do:
I used some frames (also from Ikea... They seriously should be paying me!) to show off things I found among his papers. It's hard to display newspaper clippings. He also has been to a million games and concerts. I tried to showcase the ticket stubs as well:


Aren't the skinny shelves perfect?
 The room isn't totally done. You can see how gross and yellow the trim is. My mom is the designated trim painter of the family. She is super fast and doesn't need tape somehow.
There was an tacky light fixture up here before too. He has a new one, but needs to wire it. This is what he's working with right now:
I mentioned the desk was hard to build. I screwed up! I'm sure you can tell from looking that it's going to be hard for a drawer to slide in and out when one of the tracks is facing the wrong direction! Ugh. 
 He's also moving a recliner upstairs that will sit in the very empty looking corner Zulu was relaxing in in most of the "after" shots. This green blanket will be going on it.

He is also much better at waiting than I am. He sees no need to buy a desk chair now. He'd rather wait until garage sale season and grab one then. I couldn't handle photographing the room "as is" so I stole his piano bench (I told you the kid was musical!). 

Aside from a few small things though the office is done! What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...