Thursday, November 3, 2011

This Blogging Break Has Been Brought to You by MRSA (Including Gross Pictures)

Hopefully you don't know what MRSA is. It's gross. I didn't know much about it until it came to live in my body! I had one spot show up that was really painful and I went to the doctor. She didn't know what it is and squeezed it and told me to put antibiotic ointment on it and it would go away. This released an antibiotic resistant Staph infection into my body called MRSA. I also had a work trip coming up a few days after the red spot squeezing incident. I googled like crazy to figure out how to relieve the pain and started doing tons of home remedies only to find boil after boil showing up on my skin.

By Monday (the spot appeared on Wednesday night and I saw the doctor on Thursday) I had 3 or 4 spots and was on my way to Florida for work in all kinds of pain with a bag full of Band-Aids and ointments. I kept considering going to the hospital, but convinced myself every time that I was a big wimp. Tuesday I woke up with a fever. I somehow made it through my meetings burning up and in intense pain. Oh, and with now 18 (!!!) boils all over by body. I took a cab to the emergency room. Boils were drained, I was shot full of pain meds and antibiotics, and tons of prescriptions were written. I cried like a baby on some sweet nurse's shoulder and wished for my mom, or anybody to be there with me! I decided I wouldn't let my little ER trip and 18 golf ball sized boils stop me from going to my meetings. I could do this until Friday! Then I started popping the pills they gave me. And throwing up. And my eyes kept rolling back in my head because the painkillers had me stoned but didn't kill the pain. And I kept crying from pain.

I admitted defeat. The company sent me home on Wednesday. I could barely walk through the airport, I couldn't handle sitting in the car. I slept packed in ice. I screamed and I cried constantly. I couldn't walk. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't manage my pain. My parents are saints! They got me from the airport and changed my dressings, cooked me food, cared for my dog, and put me back together again. I went back to the doctor and my pain meds were adjusted. And I found out that if I hadn't gone to the ER I probably wouldn't have lived another 24 hrs... Very scary to think about.

8 days after my return home I'm finally well enough to go back to my house. I developed an allergy to something I'm taking and now have a head to toe body rash, but otherwise I'm doing pretty well. Here is my journey in pictures... 
That barn wood headboard and my brother's dog Bailey. My recovery couldn't have happened without both!

The allergy polka dots I woke up with today

Roses from my brother and his wife
What my scars look like... Ew.
My side and allergy dots
My stomach. Yum huh? This will work wonders for my dating future... I can tell!

And here is the email my mom sent out to our family about what was going on:
I thought I'd just drop you a note and ask that you pray for Erin when you have a chance. She has a severe case of MRSA. This is a sort of staph infection, and it can be deadly. She started out with a couple pimple-like spots that hurt severely. She went to the doctor who told her they were nothing and squeezed one, apparently setting off a nasty chain of events. Shortly after that she left last Monday for a week-long business meeting in Florida. While there she became so ill so quickly that by Tuesday she had to take a cab to the ER and was diagnosed with MRSA. Her company sent her home the next day and she is covered in angry, weeping, incredibly painful boils. I have never seen someone (not in labor) who was in this much pain. It has been a terrifying and miserable week. We have since found out that the antibiotic she was initially given was the correct one for the strain of MRSA she has so that should make her recovery shorter. But her pain management is  still an issue. She can't walk, sit or lay without a great deal of misery. So please pray that we can get this pain under control and that these will drain and she'll  be ok. Her fever is holding at a steady low-grade so I;m encouraged that it's not rising. This spread so fast that I feel if she had not made it to the ER when she did she would have died before morning. It was taking over so quickly. So we're so thankful to still have her and that she was able to make it home safely and quickly and we're hoping things take a turn for the better realllllly soon. She's unable to care for herself right now so is at our house. 
So when you think of it, I'd appreciate your prayers. I'll update you when something changes.



I hope to get back to my barn wood post very soon! This MRSA thing is a total drag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...